Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LXi Radiators and CAC's
09-03-2015, 02:15
RE: LXi Radiators and CAC's
my LXi has some compromised fins on the Radiator so I decided to pull it out and do a r-ecore. I found Davids posts on the other forum but the images are lost and I cant seem to figure how to remove the L brackets that hold the radiator so I decided to slide it out the back of the bus.

Reading the other post I decide to replace all the bands, bolts, washers, hoses and j seats so I did not exercise care removing these items.
aa. I used 3 cans of PB blaster and sprayed every screw thread and part I could see two days prior.
aaa. removed the coolant out the bottom of the radiator and sealed it up in 5 gal cans to keep my dog from getting into it I think I took out about 23 gal and another 1.5 gallons washed out the radiator when I rolled it out.
a. removed the rear bumper
b. In the way/ out the back is a 2x2 16 ga brace that runs on a diagonal that I hacked off with a sawzall clean top and bottom. to note the brace is welded complete at the bottom but not at the top so there was a bit of rust in the interior of that tube.
c. The transmission lines were on too tight so I cut them with a saw but drew a line so I can get new hoses made for the refit and have the deg bends put in the proper place.
d.Removed all the hoses and other things attached, cut the two clevis braces midway and marked them so I could make new adjustable braces
e.knocked out the rubber baffle and unbolted the bottom two big bolts in the rubber mounts.
f. shoved two flat steel 3in x 1/2in x6 foot long under the radiator and out the back to a stack of timber cribbing.
g. placed some 1/2 inch round bar about 10 inches long under the unattached radiator.
gg. cut a 1/2 scrap piece of plywood to fit tight against the face of the cac for fin protection
h. rolled the complete set out and dismantled as it got closer to reduce the weight.
One of the problems is the bottom bracket that holds the fan motor is in the way of one L frame bracket and I did not want to cut/modify/hack the Frame bracket so I removed that plate but did not attempt to remove the top bolts to the fan until the assembly rolled closer out. the angle iron holding the fan is in the way of a square fit to the bolts so I notched the angle iron a bit at the bottom to remove the 3 screws threaded in the radiator frame.

It looks like the PO used some sort of citrus de-greaser to clean the radiator and that side of the bus engine bay because most of the paint is gone from the frame rail on that side and any surface that you cant see has a coat of rust on it. the battery side is clean and black. my thinking is he did not wash the de-greaser off very well

the hayden oil cooler fans are in good shape, but way dirty and the fan blades are caked which has to cut down on draw. I was thinking of pushing the cooler back and placing fans external blowing in ?????
Here is an image of the unit pushed out the back and an image of the track. İmage

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
LXi Radiators and CAC's - rrueckwald - 10-02-2014, 04:09
RE: LXi Radiators and CAC's - GregOConnor - 09-03-2015 02:15
RE: LXi Radiators and CAC's - jwm470 - 09-03-2015, 12:13

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)