Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First newbee mistake w/ generator on SpongeBob
11-07-2014, 11:59 (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 12:29 by davidbrady.)
RE: First newbee mistake w/ generator on SpongeBob
Well, it took two days but I was successful in removing the old sump pan and installing a new one. If my physical dimensions were slightly different I would not have been able to complete this job - only someone with long lanky arms like me could have the reach and slenderness to get in there! A very difficult job... And, after its all bolted up and torqued what do I find out? Vantare's 3/8 NPT oil drain ball valve doesn't thread into the barely accessible sump ban bung! A quick call to Powertech reveals that the bung thread is metric and most likely straight and Vantare ran an NPT tap down it for a tapered fitting! Turns out the pitch on the metric thread is very very close to the 3/8 NPT as is the diameter such that you can get a seal once tapped. So, do I remove the entire thing and tap it on the bench or do I grease up a tap and contort myself into the small opening to do it in situ? Huh I should have been a surgeon!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First newbee mistake w/ generator on SpongeBob - davidbrady - 11-07-2014 11:59

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)