Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
11-24-2013, 23:03
RE: How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance
My "new" LXi is an '01. Good shape as far as wear 'n tear, only 49k miles. Problem is, as far as I can tell, it's been sitting since '06. Lots of little items to find/fix as well as some higher dollar items. Just bought six coach batteries, should replace the tires. Wasn't thinking too clearly when I looked at it and almost no tire wear. Problem is date code 0706.

I've always worked with Multi-Wing on fans. They make a lot of different styles and shapes in both metal and polymers and have some very sharp engineers on board. As far as the shroud, I just find a good sheet metal house that can roll the orifice needed and weld it in. Most of the fan efficiency involves the fan blade style, inlet geometry, tip clearance to the shroud and axial placement in the shroud. I have an older article from Industrial Vehicle Technology that touches on some of these and will attempt to attach it.

As far as the radiators, a rule of thumb is not to go more than 6 rows. Not that it's necessarily detrimental, but because of diminishing returns. Don't quote me on the numbers but adding second row yields about 90-95% improvement, a third row added ups it about 35-40% and so on to where the seventh row is negligible. Another option is the radiator style. My LXi has the old "fin and tube" style radiator. Newer technology uses an extruded aluminum style that is brazed in a bath. They're not near as expensive as they used to be as the technology to fabricate them has also greatly improved. There's a company over in your neck of the woods (Mebane) that IMO produces some of the best on the market - AKG America.

I'll do some more digging on the overall cooling package and keep you posted.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  IVTarticle2004.pdf (Size: 66.39 KB / Downloads: 668)

Jeff Jack - TN
'01 LXi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BirdPilot's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Improve LXi Engine Cooling Performance - BirdPilot - 11-24-2013 23:03

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)