Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spline For Hydraulic Pump Needed
08-29-2013, 18:58 (This post was last modified: 08-29-2013 19:00 by RetDA.)
Spline For Hydraulic Pump Needed
All: My 'bird (94 WB DDEC II) is crippled due to a hydraulic failure. Got a new hydraulic pump but found out when removing the old pump, the "teeth" around the inside diameter of the spline are stripped. I thought it was a Detroit part, but a trip to W.W. Williams was futile - they can't find one in their parts data base. Anybody know where I can get a new one or a serviceable used one. Pics - front rear and side attached:

İmage İmage İmage

Thanks everybody!

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2013, 19:16 (This post was last modified: 08-29-2013 19:53 by davidbrady.)
RE: Spline For Hydraulic Pump Needed
Tommy,

If you're not already a member of yahoo:groups:DetroitDiesel I'd join and post a question there along with picture attachments.

I'd also post a question to the Detroit Diesel gurus over at the Diesel Engine Trader website.

These guys seem to have a good selection of parts: Powerline Components, Adelman's, Phoenix Casting and Machining, and Arsco.

I'll continue to look around to see what I can find.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-29-2013, 20:37
(08-29-2013 19:16)davidbrady Wrote:  Tommy,

If you're not already a member of yahoo:groups:DetroitDiesel I'd join and post a question there along with picture attachments.

I'd also post a question to the Detroit Diesel gurus over at the Diesel Engine Trader website.

These guys seem to have a good selection of parts: Powerline Components, Adelman's, Phoenix Casting and Machining, and Arsco.

Thanks, David - I'm getting tired of trying to find unobtanium parts.
Old 'bird, old dogs and old bodies - sometimes get you down.

Still a Newbie
1994 WB
08-31-2013, 15:13
(08-29-2013 20:37)RetDA Wrote:  
(08-29-2013 19:16)davidbrady Wrote:  Tommy,

Thanks, David - I'm getting tired of trying to find unobtanium parts.
Old 'bird, old dogs and old bodies - sometimes get you down.

All: After searching, I finally decided I'm going to a very skilled machine shop here in my county and have one made. In fact, I think I'm going to have more than one made (depending on the price) where nobody else will have the trouble I've had.

Still a Newbie
1994 WB
08-31-2013, 22:34
That's taking the bull by the horns! But you're just that kind of fellow, aren't you Mr. DA!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-01-2013, 07:04
(08-31-2013 22:34)Arcticdude Wrote:  That's taking the bull by the horns! But you're just that kind of fellow, aren't you Mr. DA!

My friend, thanks for the compliment. As much as I love my 'bird this experience has been a labor of #%$! - (my wife sez..."I never thought he would 'leave me' for a machine....") prosecuting a capital murder case was easier that dealing with the issues I have had the last month.

Still a Newbie
1994 WB
09-03-2013, 15:03
Got my hydraulic issue resolved and have obtained a intermediate gear to replace the one that failed. One of my BB friends did a "post mortem on my failed system and here is the report:

"Pump flange has 2 bolts holding it to an adapter plate that is secured to engine gearbox housing with 5 bolts. This mounting flange it 1 5/8 inches thick.

There is a square plate bolted to a larger gear inside the engine gear box , this plate has teeth cut into it to accept an adapter gear that is 1.900 long it has gear teeth outside that match the square plate inside the gearbox, this mid-gear also has gear teeth inside on one end only that matches up to the small gear Tommy has shone in his pics, that is the one that was damaged along with the spline shaft on his pump. This gear has a solid metal plug on one end that is spring roll pinned inside of this smaller mid gear. The pin prevents the gear from slipping down on pump shaft it's a positive non adjustable stop. There is no hole drilled into pump spline shaft.

The max length of these 2 coupling gears is 1.900 flange face to main engine gearbox gear plate. The gears mounted on spline of pump measure 1.800 allowing 100 built in clearance. This setup allows for . 455 gear mesh.

Tommy's pump had a. 055 gasket after it was mashed between flanges.

Another gasket is installed between adapter housing and engine gearbox and "IF" it's . 055, that takes away. 110 from the. 455 mesh leaving only. 345 total gear mesh."

This should be plenty of surface contact mesh on the gears the spur gear is. 500 max width.

The gears cannot become unmeshed far enough to strip like Tommy's did UNLESS the mounting adapter or the pump flange loosens up or BOTH.

I've told Tommy to have it reassembled without the thick gaskets a thin coating with non-hardening permatex will be enough that will add about. 100 to gear mesh.

Also recommend loctite on all mounting bolts.

The other 6V92 I have has a 1/4 inch key holding it on there are at least 2 styles.

Tommy's 1994 and this gear off a 1984 1/2 are identical inside and out 6V92 and 8V92"

Still a Newbie
1994 WB
[+] 1 user Likes RetDA's post
09-03-2013, 15:06
That's great news! Here's to hoping your hydraulic woes are now becoming a distant memory.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-04-2013, 10:59
Tommy,
Thanks for sharing the fix, here's to hoping it saves other owners future headaches!Smile

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)