Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out with old Thomas air pump
08-21-2013, 00:37
RE: Out with old Thomas air pump
I replaced the Microphor air toilet on Pretty Penny with the Thetford Tecma high-profile electric toilet. It was the best improvement I made inside. I thas a built in maceration unit (the model I bought). The electric controls on the wall have two buttons that are used for light flush and heavy flush. Using the two together allow you to set the fill level after flush. The tall seat was fantastic and the bowl big enough not to crowd your junk, so to speak. I highly recommend it. The foot print is much smaller than a Microphor so be sure you have flooring to set the smaller footprint Tecma on.

Tommy "2 Shoes" McCarthy
2006 M450XLI "GoneAway" Big Grin
Former owner 1995 PT42 WB "Pretty Penny"
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2013, 17:18
(08-20-2013 13:36)G.Kirby Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 13:15)timetravelers Wrote:  Thanks, Rich. I have added a filter/regulator to the toilet line in the bay, but didn't think of removing the regulator in the toilet. I guess you could just open the toilet regulator to full open, so it wouldn't be a factor.

I am on the road now, but the first order of business when I get home is to install a new toilet. This is the one I think may work best,

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/Pe...fault.aspx

Have been staring at this toilet as I am sick of maintaining the Microphor/Thomas. I've rebuilt the 12v compressor twice and eventually gave up, replacing it with a self contained 120v unit, but now have to start the Genny to flush.

Wondering about a couple of things with the Thetford:

1) Whether it will work without the holding tank sensors. I don't need those.
2) a convenient way to provide a 12 volt 40 Amp circuit to power it. That's a lot of juice. I thought they had a 120v model I could just plug in to the inverter supplied plug under the medicine cabinet above the toilet.

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toad

Rolleyes http://www.challengerwest.com Tongue
09-26-2013, 18:14
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage I agree the little Thomas Compressors have short lives and are somewhat pricey. I had bought a new one and a new tank and had the good folks at CoachCraft install the new pump and tank. (the old tank had many years of rusty condensation). While they were doing the install, I had the the big Gast Compressor right next door plumbed into the system. Now I have a backup if my thomas Compressor fails again. I was however able to buy two more new Thomas Compressors on E-Bay for $99.00 each.

Also, the way bb mounted the tank, it was bolted to the floor and mashed down where one could not get to the drain valve.

To solve that problem, unbolted it where I can move it a little and put in a drain extention. I can now drain the tank from time to time.

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
09-26-2013, 19:02
(09-26-2013 17:18)mhughes01 Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 13:36)G.Kirby Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 13:15)timetravelers Wrote:  Thanks, Rich. I have added a filter/regulator to the toilet line in the bay, but didn't think of removing the regulator in the toilet. I guess you could just open the toilet regulator to full open, so it wouldn't be a factor.

I am on the road now, but the first order of business when I get home is to install a new toilet. This is the one I think may work best,

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/Pe...fault.aspx

Have been staring at this toilet as I am sick of maintaining the Microphor/Thomas. I've rebuilt the 12v compressor twice and eventually gave up, replacing it with a self contained 120v unit, but now have to start the Genny to flush.

Wondering about a couple of things with the Thetford:

1) Whether it will work without the holding tank sensors. I don't need those.
2) a convenient way to provide a 12 volt 40 Amp circuit to power it. That's a lot of juice. I thought they had a 120v model I could just plug in to the inverter supplied plug under the medicine cabinet above the toilet.

It will work without the tank sensors. I had 2 sets of sensors already on Pretty Penny, the original and I added SeeLevel. No need for another.

Tommy "2 Shoes" McCarthy
2006 M450XLI "GoneAway" Big Grin
Former owner 1995 PT42 WB "Pretty Penny"
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe
09-26-2013, 20:12
Tommy,

Unfortunately, the new tank still won't be able to be fully drained without being able to tilt it to get the drain at the lowest spot in the tank. I've completely changed the tank in mine and will be finishing it this evening. I'll try to remember to get a picture of what I've done and post it. Knock on wood, I've had essentially no trouble with mine other than the tank. The PO left the original pump running and wore the brushes out. That was an easy swap and the pump has been fine ever since. But I've had to braze the tank up a couple of times and it had a small leak starting again. Thus my swapping the tank out for something better.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
09-26-2013, 20:26
(09-26-2013 20:12)Arcticdude Wrote:  Tommy,

Unfortunately, the new tank still won't be able to be fully drained without being able to tilt it to get the drain at the lowest spot in the tank.

You are right, if you can't move it around a little to get all the crud out, it will remain doing its rusty business. That's why mine is not bolted down. When I drain it, I tilt it over like you said, to get as much out as I can. I don't know why Wanderlodge saw fit to bolt the tank to the floor so tight and flat that the drain valve was inoperable.

FYI, unlike a lot of negatives when it comes to the microphor. I like mine, works all the time and aside from a little adjusting inside the "valve compartment" of the toilet, virtually maintenance free.Wink

Still a Newbie
1994 WB
[+] 1 user Likes RetDA's post
09-27-2013, 20:39 (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 20:41 by Arcticdude.)
Tommy,

Here's my latest setup.

This is one I bought out of a wrecked bird, but I actually had already started building this same setup. Even have the new tank already painted inside and out! But this was too good to pass up! It's a horrible freight sausage compressor tank with the Thomas pump mounted on the top. I'm currently holding 75psi over 48hrs with this set up. I installed my pressure cut off valve on it, as it has an on/off switch on it, so I can turn the pump off whenever I want to. I'm mounting this one right on the oem board from the old compressor with anble brackets to mount it upright, like the picture has it. It fits quite nicely right where the old tank was. If you can sneak up to Asheville next week, you're more than welcome to take a look. Funny, now that I've got 3 tanks and 3 pumps, this system will never fail!

Of course, now looking at the posted picture, I realize I really should paint this one before I mount it!!! DOH, it's always something!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
09-28-2013, 18:10
(09-27-2013 20:39)Arcticdude Wrote:  Tommy,

Here's my latest setup.

This is one I bought out of a wrecked bird, but I actually had already started building this same setup. Even have the new tank already painted inside and out! But this was too good to pass up! It's a horrible freight sausage compressor tank with the Thomas pump mounted on the top. I'm currently holding 75psi over 48hrs with this set up. I installed my pressure cut off valve on it, as it has an on/off switch on it, so I can turn the pump off whenever I want to. I'm mounting this one right on the oem board from the old compressor with anble brackets to mount it upright, like the picture has it. It fits quite nicely right where the old tank was. If you can sneak up to Asheville next week, you're more than welcome to take a look. Funny, now that I've got 3 tanks and 3 pumps, this system will never fail!

Of course, now looking at the posted picture, I realize I really should paint this one before I mount it!!! DOH, it's always something!

Now that looks pretty cool and easy to get to without taking up a lot of floor space. When you say 3 tanks and 3 pumps, are they all installed, or just carry them as spares?

Still a Newbie
1994 WB
09-28-2013, 22:56
One set (the setup shown above) is installed. I've got the oem setup with slightly leaking tank sitting and then my partially finished sausage tank by itself and a third pump by itself. I only carry one setup in the bird. The others stay home.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
09-29-2013, 12:40
Good Morning,
Makes sense not to feed the entire system with the 12 V Thomas as the 450 does.
I haven't traced these yet, and hoped that you know.-- There are 2 air regulators near the air filter in the front bay with the compressors. One 35 psi and one 55 psi. The slides are supplied with full pressure so what are these for -- One is toilet 35psi?. The other?
Perhaps putting the 12 v Thomas to the toilet line only (with a check).
Have to rebuild the little Thomas.
Ross

Ernie, I modified the air supply system for the Microphor on my '99LXi43. It was set up to use engine air or 120VAC compressor air if either was available and only used the Thomas 12VDC if no engine or 120VAC air was available. All seamlessly, never even have to think about it and the Thomas, rarely even cycled so it will last practically forever.

Most common failure of the Thomas is the check built into the head. This allows the little compressor to back feed into the main air auxiliary causing undue wear. Fix is to add another check at the output.

Here is a diagram of that setup. Works like a charm. Just set the 12VDC Thomas "On" pressure above what is supplied by the 120VAC and engine air. I used new regulators and check valves, the old ones were leaking back.

No air lines or wiring needed to be run. Remove the regulator from inside the toilet tank if you have one and add the regulator shown in the photo. This was a simple modification that eliminated all problems with auxiliary air and the air for the Microphor.

[/quote]

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
[+] 1 user Likes dentmac's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)