Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
generator fan wont run
07-13-2013, 22:20 (This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 23:22 by davidbrady.)
RE: generator fan wont run
Al,

I just checked my bus. When the generator starts the 230VAC radiator fan starts immediately. The two legs of 120VAC show at the interior gauges 20 seconds later.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2013, 01:57
that is correct David , the fan should start on start up . I will have some time in the morning and plan to install the breaker , I hope its the culprit .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-16-2013, 08:13
Turns out the breaker is not that easy to access . has anyone ever replaces the toggle breaker without removing the genny all the way out ? can the genny be removed 12 or so inches further out without a jack or lift to support it ?
Any ideas on this repair ? thanks upfront

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-16-2013, 10:11 (This post was last modified: 07-16-2013 14:36 by pgchin.)
(07-16-2013 08:13)al perna Wrote:  Turns out the breaker is not that easy to access . has anyone ever replaces the toggle breaker without removing the genny all the way out ? can the genny be removed 12 or so inches further out without a jack or lift to support it ?
Any ideas on this repair ? thanks upfront

You can release the electric drive screw from a portal underneath and let the unit slide out a bit more. HOWEVER, you WILL need a support system like a furniture dolly capable of supporting the weight and you will be working under the front of the bus so you need a "safety system" BEFORE you crawl under there. As a full timer, you may need some professional help / tools, etc. I know people have accessed that "box" while in the bus, maybe they will chime in here on how they did it..........

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
07-16-2013, 20:41
thanks Pete , this is good info to have . I will have some time Wends evening to work on it . can you describe the location of the "elec drive screw portal " I have no idea where that is or how it is disengaged .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-17-2013, 10:55
Al,

You can get to the box. It will be tight, but your arms are long enough to get there. Just run the genny out as far as it will go and come in on the passenger side, kind of laying on the genny. If you really feel like you need to slide it out further, the drive connections are all on the bottom of the genny pan. Run it out a little and then slide under the front. You'll see the ram and attachment points.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
07-18-2013, 08:49
I agree I can reach the box , but will not be able to see what I am doing . the breaker I need to replace is on the far side on the bottom . so I would need to feel around and hope I remove the correct wires . The thought of this is enough to make me wait till I can have some proper tools or a shop to make the repair . there is also the chance that this is not the cause of the fan not running but must be dealt with first so I can at least eliminate the broken toggle breaker as a cause .
would have been nice if BB would have designed the tray to come out far enough to service the box .
we haven't been in a campground this long in some time , but I must say with as hot as it has been the genny would have been running 12 or more hours so I guess the camp ground is cheaper . The hour ride to work is a bummer but It does give one time to be alon in ones thoughts lol cant wait to get this fixes ha ha ha

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-18-2013, 15:14 (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 15:16 by pgchin.)
Al,
John gave you the ram attach points, sorry I'm late, been on the road fighting off alligators!Big Grin Try a mirror like an old "compac" from your wife or a cheap bicycle mirror you can attach to something, I carry both always. The compac mirror, you can open it up and use the makeup side as a base for the mirror so you can set it on something while you work.Just remember if you use a mirror, the image is reversed, takes a little getting used to but you should be able to manage. The portal I was taking about is covered by a screen on the bottom of the genny pan!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
07-20-2013, 23:27
Pete , Not a problem , I have also been busy I did try the mirror from the wife with a flash light . No luck so far . we plan to be back in Fla by next weekend and will continue using camp grounds till I can deal with this at my shop . Thanks for all the advise that will be utilized to the fullest . I m thinking of redoing the inso and bearing while I pull it out for the breaker repair . When we serviced the Genny last I noticed a great deal of dirt in the air filter , I am sure it is from all the deteriorating Inso .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
07-22-2013, 10:51 (This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 10:55 by pgchin.)
(07-20-2013 23:27)al perna Wrote:  Pete , Not a problem , I have also been busy I did try the mirror from the wife with a flash light . No luck so far . we plan to be back in Fla by next weekend and will continue using camp grounds till I can deal with this at my shop . Thanks for all the advise that will be utilized to the fullest . I m thinking of redoing the inso and bearing while I pull it out for the breaker repair . When we serviced the Genny last I noticed a great deal of dirt in the air filter , I am sure it is from all the deteriorating Inso .

Al,
Yes, good idea about the bearing and insulation.....I'm right behind you when I get back home as well!!!! When the entire RV park power went down in Detroit and was out for days during the heat wave, I decided this is the last trip before the genny rework.Wink FWIW I am also going to pull the radiator and have it serviced. There's a radiator shop in Daytona beach at the corner of Main street and Beach street that services all types of radiators!Idea Huge place, you can't miss it!( Motorcycle "club" alley!) I'm sure you know the area! Just West of the BMW motorcycle shop. Also, there appears to be a small bypass hose on the genny thermostat housing that is original on mine and WAY too old, its going to be replaced as well!!!!!!!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)