Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1982 PT40 Air Compression
10-26-2012, 05:14
Hi Wayne,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will forward this to Herman. He is coming back to
California this weekend to resolve and get her on the road. Your info will be a great help.
Jerry LeGris

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM, waynekotila <"waynekotila@yahoo.com"> wrote:

Did you get your problem figured out yet? The rear of the bus airing up and not the front may be a seperate problem. This sounds like a problem with the level control valves, there are two in the rear that control the amount of air distribution pressure to the air bags on left and right side of the bus and there is one in the front that controls the air distribution pressure between the front and rear air bags. If one of these valves fails the air bags on one side or one end of the bus may not inflate.

Wayne Kotila

Buffalo, MN

1996 PT42

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "legrisjerry" wrote:

>

> Hello Gracious BlueBird Owners,

> I appreciate any help you can give me. Have a 1982 Wanderlodge PT40. It has been sitting for 4 years. Have a buyer who came form Texas. He installed new batteries and she fired right up. The problem: the air compression didn't kick in. It was working perfectly when parked. A portable air compressor was connected to the rear line and the rears and tag lifted but not the front end.

> The new buyers were baffled and not familiar enought to solve this and time frames forced them back to Texas and the Bird still sits in Fresno.

> By the way while sitting the batteries had been disconnected but the coach was used by direct electrical hook up for lights and electric only in the coach. Maybe a relay or switch or valve has failed. I can't advise these buyer/mechanics. Please I need your feedback.

> I understand Randy Dupree and Ralph Fullenwider are the main experts and I would more than welcome any of your feedback for my buyer.

> Anyone else that has good or creative thought please contact me so I can connect you to Herman the buyer so he can bring his new bird home to Texas.

> I greatly appreciate any help you Wanderlodge wizards have.

> Thank You.

> Jerry LeGris

> 888-441-8751

> jerrylegris@...

>

--
Jerry LeGris, Broker Associate
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807
Cell: 949 510-2370
Office: 562 989-4608
Fax: 562 989-4803
email: "jerrylegris@gmail.com"

Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2012, 11:01
If you do have to replace one of your level control valves (in your case it sounds like the one above the front axle may be bad), they are a common heavy truck part and can be purchased from a trucking parts store. I had one of the back valves go bad about 5 years ago and only one side of my coach would air up. I think I paid about $30.00 forthe new valve andit doesn'ttake very long to change.
Good Luck
Wayne kotila
Buffalo, MN.
1996 PT42

To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1982 PT40 Air Compression

Hi Wayne,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will forward this to Herman. He is coming back to
California this weekend to resolve and get her on the road. Your info will be a great help.
Jerry LeGris

Did you get your problem figured out yet? The rear of the bus airing up and not the front may be a seperate problem. This sounds like a problem with the level control valves, there are two in the rear that control the amount of air distribution pressure to the air bags on left and right side of the bus and there is one in the front that controls the air distribution pressure between the front and rear air bags. If one of these valves fails the air bags on one side or one end of the bus may not inflate.

Wayne Kotila
Buffalo, MN
1996 PT42

>
> I appreciate any help you can give me. Have a 1982 Wanderlodge PT40. It has been sitting for 4 years. Have a
buyer who came form Texas. He installed new batteries and she fired right up. The problem: the air compression didn't kick in. It was working perfectly when parked. A portable air compressor was connected to the rear line and the rears and tag lifted but not the front end.
> The new buyers were baffled and not familiar enought to solve this and time frames forced them back to Texas and the Bird still sits in Fresno.
> By the way while sitting the batteries had been disconnected but the coach was used by direct electrical hook up for lights and electric only in the coach. Maybe a relay or switch or valve has failed. I can't advise these buyer/mechanics. Please I need your feedback.
> I understand Randy Dupree and Ralph Fullenwider are the main experts and I would more than welcome any of your feedback for my buyer.
> Anyone else that has good or creative thought please contact me so I can connect you to Herman the buyer so he can
bring his new bird home to Texas.
> Thank You.
> Jerry LeGris
> 888-441-8751
> jerrylegris@...
>

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807
10-29-2012, 02:05
Jerry,
Did Herman make any progress over the weekend? Thanks.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

One of the "Birds of a Feather" (BoF) Organizers

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Wayne Kotila <"waynekotila@yahoo.com"> wrote:

If you do have to replace one of your level control valves  (in your case it sounds like the one above the front axle may be bad), they are a common heavy truck part and can be purchased from a trucking parts store. I had one of the back valves go bad about 5 years ago and only one side of my coach would air up. I think I paid about $30.00 for the new valve and it doesn't take very long to change.

Good Luck
Wayne kotila
Buffalo, MN.
1996 PT42

To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"

Hi Wayne,
Jerry LeGris

Wayne Kotila
Buffalo, MN
1996 PT42

>
> I appreciate any help you can give me. Have a 1982 Wanderlodge PT40. It has been sitting for 4 years. Have a
buyer who came form Texas. He installed new batteries and she fired right up. The problem: the air compression didn't kick in. It was working perfectly when parked. A portable air compressor was connected to the rear line and the rears and tag lifted but not the front end.

> Anyone else that has good or creative thought please contact me so I can connect you to Herman the buyer so he can
> Thank You.
> Jerry LeGris
> 888-441-8751
> jerrylegris@...
>

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

10-30-2012, 08:28
Hi Curt,
Yes. We rolled her yesterday, Mon 10-29 about 1 PM and they are headed to Cisco Texas. Diesel mechanic driving and Herman following in the Ford 150, loaded with tools etc. they are prepared to keep her running and a safe trip. as of this moment Tues 12:30 PM I have not gotten a call or update. I asked them to confirm a safe arrival. Praying fro traveling mercy for them. Thanks for your inquiry, both Herman and Bob and great down to earth guys.
Jerry

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Curt Sprenger <"curtsprenger@gmail.com"> wrote:

Jerry,

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

If you do have to replace one of your level control valves  (in your case it sounds like the one above the front axle may be bad), they are a common heavy truck part and can be purchased from a trucking parts store. I had one of the back valves go bad about 5 years ago and only one side of my coach would air up. I think I paid about $30.00 for the new valve and it doesn't take very long to change.

Good Luck
Wayne kotila
Buffalo, MN.
1996 PT42

Hi Wayne,
Jerry LeGris

Wayne Kotila
Buffalo, MN
1996 PT42

>

> Thank You.
> Jerry LeGris
> 888-441-8751
> jerrylegris@...
>

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

10-30-2012, 16:01
Jerry,

That's great. I'm always interested in WHY 'Birds won't air-up. Any resolution information that you can provide?  Also, I'm currently tracking more than 1,700 'Birds. I'd like the two fellows contact information if you have it. Thanks.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Jerry LeGris <"jerrylegris@gmail.com"> wrote:

Hi Curt,
Yes. We rolled her yesterday, Mon 10-29 about 1 PM and they are headed to Cisco Texas. Diesel mechanic driving and Herman following in the Ford 150, loaded with tools etc. they are prepared to keep her running and a safe trip. as of this moment Tues 12:30 PM I have not gotten a call or update. I asked them to confirm a safe arrival. Praying fro traveling mercy for them. Thanks for your inquiry, both Herman and Bob and great down to earth guys.
Jerry

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Curt Sprenger <"curtsprenger@gmail.com"> wrote:

Jerry,

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

Good Luck
Wayne kotila
Buffalo, MN.
1996 PT42

Hi Wayne,
Jerry LeGris

Wayne Kotila
Buffalo, MN
1996 PT42

>

> Thank You.
> Jerry LeGris
> 888-441-8751
> jerrylegris@...
>

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

11-01-2012, 10:39
Hi Curt,
New owner: Herman Eaker, Cisco, Texas.. buss- 254-4421047
His helper/mechanic was Bob. Very nice guys...good mechanics and learning every day.
Jerry

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Curt Sprenger <"curtsprenger@gmail.com"> wrote:

Jerry,

That's great. I'm always interested in WHY 'Birds won't air-up. Any resolution information that you can provide?  Also, I'm currently tracking more than 1,700 'Birds. I'd like the two fellows contact information if you have it. Thanks.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

Hi Curt,

Jerry

Jerry,

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

Good Luck
Wayne kotila
Buffalo, MN.
1996 PT42

Hi Wayne,
Jerry LeGris

Wayne Kotila
Buffalo, MN
1996 PT42

>

> Thank You.
> Jerry LeGris
> 888-441-8751
> jerrylegris@...
>

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

11-01-2012, 11:36
Thank you, Jerry. Do you have Herman's email address? I'll set him up in my database and also forward his information to the Lone Star Birds group. Herman is very close to several 'Bird owners in his area.  

Curt Sprenger

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Jerry LeGris <"jerrylegris@gmail.com"> wrote:

Hi Curt,
His helper/mechanic was Bob. Very nice guys...good mechanics and learning every day.
Jerry

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Curt Sprenger <"curtsprenger@gmail.com"> wrote:

Jerry,

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

Hi Curt,

Jerry

Jerry,

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

Good Luck
Wayne kotila
Buffalo, MN.
1996 PT42

Hi Wayne,
Jerry LeGris

Wayne Kotila
Buffalo, MN
1996 PT42

>

> Thank You.
> Jerry LeGris
> 888-441-8751
> jerrylegris@...
>

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

11-01-2012, 12:15
HI Curt,
He is not email connected. One of his workers is: "Randy....captain475@yahoo.com"
Maybe Herman will get re-setup. I have been telling him about Wanderlodge Forum etc and all the great support and family that helps each other.
Thanks,
Jerry

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Curt Sprenger <"curtsprenger@gmail.com"> wrote:

Thank you, Jerry. Do you have Herman's email address? I'll set him up in my database and also forward his information to the Lone Star Birds group. Herman is very close to several 'Bird owners in his area.  

Curt Sprenger

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Jerry LeGris <"jerrylegris@gmail.com"> wrote:

Hi Curt,

Jerry

Jerry,

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

Hi Curt,

Jerry

Jerry,

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

Good Luck
Wayne kotila
Buffalo, MN.
1996 PT42

Hi Wayne,
Jerry LeGris

Wayne Kotila
Buffalo, MN
1996 PT42

>

> Thank You.
> Jerry LeGris
> 888-441-8751
> jerrylegris@...
>

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

--
Commercial & Residential
DRE # 00885785
Prudential Calif Realty
3728 Atlantic Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90807

11-02-2012, 05:30
Hi Curt and others interested in "air
up"...

On 10/30/2012 11:01 PM, Curt Sprenger wrote:

Jerry,

That's great. I'm always interested in WHY 'Birds won't
air-up.
This thread doesn't not sound exactly like my recent experience, but
it may find it's way into your useful info?

Mine is a 1995 BMC-37 Bird with a Spartan chassis of the MM series.

I've had three hose failures in the past year, one air and two
hydraulic -- all caused by vibration & chafe.

This week, after hydraulic hose replacement the rear failed to air
up while the front did air up.

With Spartan tech help, the problem was suspected to be related to
my use of the leveling jacks to provide maximum crawl space under
the rear end [and lift the tire off the ground].

I learned there are three level control valves -- two front and one
rear -- for 3-point support [IMHO kewl engineering].

With focus on the level control valve and the dump valve, my likely
fix came down to trying:

[*]Cycle the leveling/storage functions a few times [reestablish
    the regular operating sequence again]
    [*]Tap the valves with a rubber hammer [sticky valve again but
    worse]
    [*]Lift and flip the level control valve actuating arm [a design
    shortcoming?]
    [/list]
    The first two are draconian but typical prior to valve replacement.

The "flip" solution came as a surprise to me.  It is described as
    the result of overextending the valve arm & adjustable link to
    the chassis.  It seems that occasionally the arm can return in the
    wrong direction when storing the jacks.  The test for this solution
    is to visually inspect the linkage.  If the link is not essentially
    vertical then the valve arm probably is on the wrong side of the
    valve.  The solution can be to raise the chassis again and guide the
    valve arm as the chassis is lowered.  Best done from a pit?  Or the
    solution may be to disassemble and reassemble in the correct
    orientation.

Any resolution information that you can provide? 
    In my case the first option worked.  After cycling a couple times in
    the "barn" I use for winter storage where we did the maintenance,
    then moving the rig to another spot [for an unrelated reason], when
    moving back into the barn, the rear did air up.  Now I'm wondering
    exactly what went wrong because I never got to the hammer nor the
    flip options.

Also, I'm currently tracking more than 1,700 'Birds.
    I'd like the two fellows contact information if you have
    it.

If you explained how I might search your database, I missed it.  I'm
    sorry.

What you are doing seems like a worthy work.

Thanks.
    Thank you and others on this reflector.

I do hope my experience might be useful to someone in the future...

Curt Sprenger

Anaheim Hills, CA

"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

George
11-02-2012, 08:36
From George..."If you explained how I might search your database, I missed it. I'm sorry.
What you are doing seems like a worthy work."

My database is not available for searching. Many Birds owners do not want their information shared. What I have done is publish lists of information on WOG under Takin' It Easy, Birds of a Feather (BoF). 

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM, George F. VerDuin <"verduin@ameritech.net"> wrote:
If you explained how I might search your database, I missed it.  I'm
sorry.

What you are doing seems like a worthy work.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)