Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Heaters
02-20-2013, 03:57
RE: Electric Heaters
(02-19-2013 15:59)pgchin Wrote:  A tip for those running Webasco's or Aquahots with "bay" heater thermostats. If it's going to be very cold, make sure your bay thermostats are set to about 55 degree's. It will heat the Bays, tanks AND ENTIRE floor of the bus!!!!!Tongue Its like having heated flooring in the bus!!! Donna loves warm floors on cold days and so do the dogs!!!!!!!! Also, if you have those termostat setups where the kitchen electric heaters and Aquahot heater is directly right across from the thermostat, you may need to deflect the air going to the thermostat as the direct heat from the heaters causes the thermostat to "think" it's satisfied and causes it to constantly short cycle. Do NOT ask me how I know this in 20 degree weather in the Blue Ridge mountains!Angel

I like this tip too! Never have liked hot air blowing in my face, or cold feet, so this is like having a thermally heated floor. Nice!

Now if we could only get our Aquahot serviced or functioning again. Last time we used it, smoke started billowing out. Goes on the list of 101 things to do.

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2013, 11:50 (This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 12:46 by pgchin.)
(02-20-2013 03:57)Ms. Bee Wrote:  Now if we could only get our Aquahot serviced or functioning again. Last time we used it, smoke started billowing out. Goes on the list of 101 things to do.

Only 101 items on your "punch list"? You're doing great!Big Grin I have a "little black book" 6x8 and 2 pages both sides filled with wants and needs all the time! So I feel your pain, all RV's do, no matter the brand. The trick is to write it all down, then prioritize DO the thing that will cause you from using your bird first, PM on schedule, fix on fail the rest, wants and upgrades last or when you can't stand it anymore and want to treat your bird to a "gift"!!!!!!! The list will change but NEVER go away!!!!Rolleyes
Now, Tell Darrell to STOP making money and start "playing" with his 42 foot toy! The boy ain't gettin any younger!!!!!HahahahahhaCool All kidding aside, if its white or black smoke, it probably needs a fuel filter, new nozzle, and the burn chamber needs to be removed and cleaned. See attachment1 the shop manual, step by step instructions for my engineering buddy (your hubby). Two extra manuals for his "leisure engineering reading". Wink You can buy the nozzle and filter online as a kit from vendors like Roger Benke or whomever you choose, save yourself a couple of hundred bucks in labor charges and go spend it on your new farm!!!!!!!Tongue

Attached File(s)
.pdf  AHE-01SAqua-HotShopManual08-01.pdf (Size: 1.06 MB / Downloads: 510)
.pdf  AHE-100-02SAqua-HotPartsManual06-02.pdf (Size: 161.64 KB / Downloads: 544)
.pdf  AHE-920431-432Aqua-HotInstallationManual03-96.pdf (Size: 1.69 MB / Downloads: 611)

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
02-22-2013, 13:50
Thank you so much, Pete.

Coincidently I heard him talking on the phone yesterday to a fellow birder and tell him that this is what he wants to work on in the next two weekends. So your timing could not be any more perfect.
I will pass this along to him, now!

Thanks again and again! :>)
Jen

Jen

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
02-22-2013, 14:20 (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 14:21 by cmillsap.)
(02-22-2013 13:50)Ms. Bee Wrote:  Thank you so much, Pete.

Coincidently I heard him talking on the phone yesterday to a fellow birder and tell him that this is what he wants to work on in the next two weekends. So your timing could not be any more perfect.
I will pass this along to him, now!

Thanks again and again! :>)
Jen

Jen

Sometimes the diesel burner in an AquaHot will blow smoke for awhile on initial startup, especially if it has not been used in some time. If it doesn't clear after a few minutes then it probably needs service, especially if it has lots of hours on it since it was last serviced.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
09-05-2013, 19:44
I also replaced my two electric cadet heaters (one stopped working the other was pretty much filled with dust and both were almost 10 years old) and put individual mechanical cadet thermostats in them so I could operate them independently which is necessary when hooked up to 30 amp shorepower. I am now looking to replace the two mechanical thermostats on the wall with large display digital ones. I am looking for 12 volt DC, 2 wire digital thermostats - if any of you can recommend a model I would appreciate the tip. Thanks
09-08-2013, 02:56
I saw the post on the Hunter models but thought he said they were no longer available. I post when I find the right ones. Thanks for the information.
09-08-2013, 16:56
Chuck,
That's a thermal limit. It trips if the unit becomes over heated as in if the fan failed or the grills were stopped up & there was no air flow. There should be a number stamped on it somewhere that tells the limit trip temperature. It would just be a number like "220" or "155". Once in a blue moon it will actually have an "F" behind it. It's usually VERY small (for me, anyway! ) as in get out the magnifying glass.

Remove the limit & take it to an HVAC supply house. They should have a replacement. It doesn't have to be the right brand, as long as the limit temp matches. There are lots of companies that make them & the basic mounting and electrical connections are the same.

TOM
09-08-2013, 19:00
(02-20-2013 03:57)Ms. Bee Wrote:  Now if we could only get our Aquahot serviced or functioning again. Last time we used it, smoke started billowing out. Goes on the list of 101 things to do.

Jen, I sent the burner from my LX's Aquahot to Roger Burke last year for a complete rebuild. His pricing and turnaround time were excellent. I re-installed the burner and it worked perfectly. I highly recommend his services.

Jim Doel
Perth, Ontario
2007 M380
Stainless Steel
w/26' Featherlight trailer
jimdoel@me.com
09-09-2013, 12:25 (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 12:26 by pgchin.)
Those electric heaters were really meant for a home application.They still make them albeit a much newer version. My apologies I do not have the URL with me on the road right now but if you google them, get their URL, call their support number, they will tell you what type / brand of thermostats work best with them. The HVAC "controls" architecture is pretty standard so I am sure you can get a new inexpensive digital thermostat!Wink

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
09-09-2013, 15:05
These heaters are activated by a relay under the closet. I believe any thermostat provides an "on/off" output which will activate the relay and turn the heater on. I'm having an new issue with the bedroom unit. The internal thermal cutoff accessible behind the grill is popping and shutting off the heater. After the cutoff has shut the heater off, I can hear the relay clicking when I move the thermostat hotter and colder.

I called Cadet tech svc and confirmed this statement on their website for the Perfectoe unit:

"Ordering Information:
For installation above 7000 feet the highest wattage recommended is 750 watts. "

We are parked at 7600' in Colorado, and thinner air is causing the heater to overheat internally due to reduced airflow.
I think we'll just use a little external cube heater until we move. The kitchen unit still works fine, I guess the bigger volume in the kitchen vs. the hall by the shower lets more air circulate.

Morey Zuber
99LXi41

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)