Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE BLUE BIRD BOUNCE
02-17-2013, 11:53
THE BLUE BIRD BOUNCE
Although a front end bounce at times can be unnerving for Lola , I seem to feel it more in our LXI ,than I did in the 93WB . Are there componets that can be upgraded or replaced to fix this issue .

so my question s are
1. can we correct the excessive bounce ?
2. what is the cause of this event .

so help me take the bounce out of my blue bird Big Grin

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 12:24
RE: THE BLUE BIRD BOUNCE
(02-17-2013 11:53)al perna Wrote:  Although a front end bounce at times can be unnerving for Lola , I seem to feel it more in our LXI ,than I did in the 93WB . Are there componets that can be upgraded or replaced to fix this issue .

so my question s are
1. can we correct the excessive bounce ?
2. what is the cause of this event .

so help me take the bounce out of my blue bird Big Grin

If you have Koni shock,s , you can tighten them up a little and take the bounce out of the bird.
02-17-2013, 12:44 (This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 12:45 by davidbrady.)
Hey Al,

I'd guess that you still have the sway bar on the steer axle. Try to see if you can post a pic of your steer axle suspension. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, get out of the coach and situate yourself at the trailing edge of the curbside tire. You should be able to get a good view of the Koni shock and the air springs. Aim your camera at the frame rails just behind the rear most air spring. That's where the sway bar is bolted to the frame rails.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
02-17-2013, 12:52
David . I have been under the bus when speedco did the PM last month . There was no sway bar , I had one on the 93WB so I'am pretty sure I know what it looks like .
jnxmas
I was thinking on the same lines about the koni shock , Is there a upgrade or will a simple adjustment work ?

al perna
2000 LXI

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
02-17-2013, 13:07 (This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 13:43 by davidbrady.)
Hmmm, AFAIK the only other Wanderlodge that shipped with a sway bar was the BMC, but that's a Spartan chassis. Your '93WB must've had an aftermarket bar. (Some folks, not you necessarily, confuse the Anti-Sway Bar with the lateral locating link, also known as the panhard rod).

There's only one set of Koni's available for the steer axle of an LXi, and it's adjustable. I have mine set to one turn from full soft. Koni part number: 902497SP1

Concerning ride and bounce, the other things to check are air spring ride height, tire pressures, and tag axle pressures. Al, do you know your axle weights? What are you running for tire pressures? What does your tag axle air pressure gauge typically read? The air spring height should be 8" +-3/16" and it's measured from bead plate to bead plate at the spring.

(02-17-2013 12:24)jnxmas Wrote:  If you have Koni shock,s , you can tighten them up a little and take the bounce out of the bird.

I agree, you can do a lot with shock adjustments. I find though that you can make them too stiff. If you do, then the suspension doesn't have time to rebound and the ride can get stiff and harsh. Just my $0.02.

david brady,

02-17-2013, 14:34
would you recomend Josams as a quality option to inspect and provide the service ?

as tpo the 93 , i think the bar was red or blue as i recall and was shaped like a shock .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
02-17-2013, 15:20 (This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 15:22 by davidbrady.)
(02-17-2013 14:34)al perna Wrote:  would you recomend Josams as a quality option to inspect and provide the service ?

as tpo the 93 , i think the bar was red or blue as i recall and was shaped like a shock .

Al, that would be a Safe-T-Plus or steering stabilizer. The sway bar is a long steel bar of round cross section 2" in diameter and its bolted to the frame rails just aft of the rear most air springs, and runs from one frame rail to the other. Josams is excellent but can be pricey.

david brady,

02-17-2013, 21:40
We went to Jo Sams when we first bought our bird and the result was nothing short of amazing. As soon as we pulled away we immediately noticed the difference in handling.

They adjusted the caster and the toe in and also not the anti-sway bar, but the gosh, another bar. I'm trying to remember the name, it will come to me, but it is the same thing that some people have had installed up in Oregon. It stops the bus from having too much play.

They got into the coach with us, drove it. Came back adjusted it again a little more, drove it again, adjusted it another hair, drove it a third time until it was perfect.

It really held so much more steady after that and was much easier to steer.

Can't recommended them highly enough. I believe the cost was $450 may $480. somewhere around that and well worth it.

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
02-18-2013, 10:31 (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 10:32 by davidbrady.)
Jennifer,

Josams is excellent. There are some things that I would only let Josams do. When I was there last there was a highly skilled technician reinforcing a Pierce fire engine chassis. Pierce provided the kit - the technician disassembled the bodywork down to the chassis and welded in these huge fillet reinforcement pieces. Josams definitely has there place. I haven't had them rework my caster yet, but that's on my list.

Al, do me a favor and aim a camera at your frame rails like I described earlier. You can email it to me if you wish and I'll post it. My hunch is that you have an anti-sway bar.

Along with everything that's been discussed relative to improving ride and handling, I'm convinced that the main reason for Newell's and Prevost's superiority in this regard is their use of Auxilliary Air Tanks for the air springs. Newell builds the tanks into the frame - Prevost uses off-the-shelf standalone tanks mounted close to the air spring. The effect is marked reduction in spring rate without reducing load capacity. Stay tuned, I'm experimenting with Aux Tanks for my LXi's steer axle suspension. Smile

david brady,

02-18-2013, 21:11
(02-18-2013 10:31)davidmbrady Wrote:  Jennifer,

Josams is excellent. There are some things that I would only let Josams do. When I was there last there was a highly skilled technician reinforcing a Pierce fire engine chassis. Pierce provided the kit - the technician disassembled the bodywork down to the chassis and welded in these huge fillet reinforcement pieces. Josams definitely has there place. I haven't had them rework my caster yet, but that's on my list.

Al, do me a favor and aim a camera at your frame rails like I described earlier. You can email it to me if you wish and I'll post it. My hunch is that you have an anti-sway bar.

Along with everything that's been discussed relative to improving ride and handling, I'm convinced that the main reason for Newell's and Prevost's superiority in this regard is their use of Auxilliary Air Tanks for the air springs. Newell builds the tanks into the frame - Prevost uses off-the-shelf standalone tanks mounted close to the air spring. The effect is marked reduction in spring rate without reducing load capacity. Stay tuned, I'm experimenting with Aux Tanks for my LXi's steer axle suspension. Smile

David

So your saying , the BB bottoms out due to not havibng adiquiet pressure for the weight and force on some dips and bumps in the road ?

so they added an addition Tank that is dedicated to the front air bags ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)