Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transmission Fluid
03-03-2013, 20:55
Transmission Fluid
Was poking around the bus today and checked the transmission fluid. It was at the add mark when cold. What do I use and where do I put it? it was at add mark, is that gonna take a quart or more?
Thanks

Bruce & Sally Summerlin
2000LXi. 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Germantown, TN
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 22:37
RE: Transmission Fluid
I believe the transmission fluid needs to be checked when the transmission is warm to be accurate. May be a good idea to verify what the manual specifies.

Troy & Erica Tikalsky
1985 Wanderlodge PT40
http://www.diyrvguy.com
03-03-2013, 22:56
(03-03-2013 22:37)Teebone Wrote:  I believe the transmission fluid needs to be checked when the transmission is warm to be accurate. May be a good idea to verify what the manual specifies.

Bingo. Warmed up, parked on level service, engine still running when you check it.
03-03-2013, 23:36 (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 23:37 by davidbrady.)
Bruce,

I think the only reliable way to check transmission fluid level on an LXi is by using the Allison keypad. Simultaneously depress the up and down arrows for 5s or so. If there are any logged diagnostic codes they should be displayed, after that the transmission will display the oil level. If the transmission isn't warm enough it will tell you. If the input shaft is spinning too fast it will tell you this too. Once warn and once input shaft speed is okay you'll get a fluid level read out. It will say something like: "OL: OK" if everything is fine; if low 1 quart it'll say something like: "LO: 1", etc. If you're doing this at a campsite you can warm up the transmission by applying the brake and putting the tranny in gear. You can even bring the revs up a bit to speed up the warm up time.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-04-2013, 12:13
Bruce,
David provided the most accurate,BEST, and easiest way to check the tranny fluid. Ya want a "down and dirty" way......fire the beast up and run if for 50-75 miles to warm up the tranny fluid, it needs to be HOT. Park on a LEVEL surface and leave it running / idling......then check it. As long as its between high and low, you're good to go!!!!!CoolBig Grin

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
03-04-2013, 12:20
(03-04-2013 12:13)pgchin Wrote:  Bruce,
David provided the most accurate,BEST, and easiest way to check the tranny fluid. Ya want a "down and dirty" way......fire the beast up and run if for 50-75 miles to warm up the tranny fluid, it needs to be HOT. Park on a LEVEL surface and leave it running / idling......then check it. As long as its between high and low, you're good to go!!!!!CoolBig Grin

All, thanks I will give both a try next weekend when I am back at the bus barn.

Bruce & Sally Summerlin
2000LXi. 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Germantown, TN

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)