Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2001 LXi Battery Failure
06-28-2019, 23:30 (This post was last modified: 06-28-2019 23:36 by Urnie-Medie.)
RE: 2001 LXi Battery Failure
Hi

I am almost ashamed to ask this - I thought the inverter was also the charger? Is that correct? If the charger is a different unit where is it located.

It looks like the "Green" inverters are in great shape and all the right lights seem to be on.

Is there a simple way to make sure they are working correctly.

Thanks

Urnie

Thank

Urnie

Hi

It is late and maybe I should wait until tomorrow to reply. I thought the inverter was also the charger - am I correct?
The two "green" inverters look to be in good condition.

Is thee an easy way to check these out?

Thanks

Urnie

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2019, 08:47
Hey Urnie,
Your inverter could be your charger. I have a separate charger and an inverter, but I have never used the inverter as a charger. The newer coaches may be set up differently. Need one of the other guys familiar with your year of coach set up to advise on this.
Gregg

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
07-01-2019, 15:41
Urnie,

Yes, your inverter case should also house your charger. You should have 3000W inverters with internal 140A chargers. If it's been changed by a previous owner, it may be different. But I'd expect most owners to either replace exactly or upgrade, so you should have at least the 3000/140 units. I don't think I've ever heard of somebody removing a combination unit and installing separate ones. I've heard of folks turning off something and adding in a substitute, but that should be fairly obvious that had been done.

The only way to check them is with a volt meter and some time. As I said earlier, I just happened to be working on my rig when I caught the one charger overcharging. I turned that one off and just used the other. Since I rarely boondock, having only 1 charger never caused me any issues. We're pretty frugal when using electric, so it really doesn't take that long to replenish the batteries with the generator and even less time with the engine. Worse, since we're usually traveling in the heat, the genny is running to power the AC's, so it's no issue for the charger.

So to answer your question, make a point of always looking at the coach/house gauges whenever you're near your rig. I can't say I watch mine like a hawk, but I do routinely check them and listen to the various sounds the rig makes.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
07-01-2019, 15:41
Urnie,

Yes, your inverter case should also house your charger. You should have 3000W inverters with internal 140A chargers. If it's been changed by a previous owner, it may be different. But I'd expect most owners to either replace exactly or upgrade, so you should have at least the 3000/140 units. I don't think I've ever heard of somebody removing a combination unit and installing separate ones. I've heard of folks turning off something and adding in a substitute, but that should be fairly obvious that had been done.

The only way to check them is with a volt meter and some time. As I said earlier, I just happened to be working on my rig when I caught the one charger overcharging. I turned that one off and just used the other. Since I rarely boondock, having only 1 charger never caused me any issues. We're pretty frugal when using electric, so it really doesn't take that long to replenish the batteries with the generator and even less time with the engine. Worse, since we're usually traveling in the heat, the genny is running to power the AC's, so it's no issue for the charger.

So to answer your question, make a point of always looking at the coach/house gauges whenever you're near your rig. I can't say I watch mine like a hawk, but I do routinely check them and listen to the various sounds the rig makes.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)