Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swing out radiator
07-01-2017, 16:41 (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 16:42 by 2RiversRoy.)
Swing out radiator
New to the group, but have owned my 1982 31-footer since 1999. Have the 3208 with the clutch fan that has decided to stop working. I know I'm looking at taking the front end off to get to the problem, but I have heard of a radiator conversion where one can install hinges to allow access without removal of the radiator. Now I'm just assuming these 'Birds did not come from the factory that way? Any mechanical tips would be welcomed. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2017, 18:55
RE: Swing out radiator
Welcome. They did have factory swing radiators, but it was later years. When doing one, think barn door. The radiator is heavy, so you need two HEAVY duty hinges. Made a angle brace to help support the weight, and at least one bolt on the opposite side to hold it closed. Also need longer hoses, and the bottom one should be supported with some kind of spring, so that it doesn't hang down when closed. Trim the shroud on one side to clear while opening. The bumper is also hinged on the bottom, and bolted (in the normal position) on the top.
Now this is from memory, as I haven't owned my '78FC in over 12 years, so take it with a grain of salt. At least, you now have an idea.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
07-01-2017, 21:00
RE: Swing out radiator
Thanks for opening the "barn door". I had anticipated complications as we all know when something breaks on a 'Bird' bring out the guidebook. Thank you.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)