Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another approach to flat tire prevention
06-21-2015, 14:57
Yet another approach to flat tire prevention
There were some recent threads on tire inserts to help in the case of a blow out, especially on the front tires. I was looking at the Goodyear Wingfoot service center site for something else when I ran across this service - foam filled tires, to be "virtually flat proof". I wonder if that equates to blow out prevention? And would it help hold the front wheel off the pavement somewhat for a few seconds to get stopped if a blowout did occur? I wouldn't think much since it seems like it would have to be a fairly pliable foam, but then again I haven't called them to discuss it. I would think temperature variation and pressure loss would be minimal though. Seems more intriguing than nitrogen to me! Angel

http://www.wingfootct.com/services/tirefill/

Does anyone know anything good or bad about this?

Thanks,

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2015, 18:12
RE: Yet another approach to flat tire prevention
Hi,
Very interesting. It seems that foam has been used for quite a while on Industrial and off road equipment but perhaps Goodyear has perfected it for on road use.
There are no reviews or information on the web and considering that so many Goodyear dealers have "Foam" capabilities, I would think it is still just for off road use. Please let me know if you hear more about it as I will be ordering the Rodgard runflats this week. (I will be buying a wheel from Alcoa to be shipped to Rodgard)
Regards,

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
06-21-2015, 19:29
It is a fairly dense foam, it is for off road use, not on the road. You use no air with it at all, just the foam. I am sure it is NOT for on the road tires.
06-21-2015, 20:36
I knew about the off road use in industrial equipment, but my attention was caught by the last sentence:
"Call any Wingfoot Commercial Tire Systems to discuss the advantages this process can mean to you, your fleet and your budget. "

The "fleet" wording seems to imply over the road equipment. Kinda makes you go "Huh?!"

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
06-21-2015, 22:13
Agreed "Huh"? I would never refer to my bevy of road graders as a fleet.
Worth a call as it would be a LOT cheaper then Rodgard runflats at $950 each.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)