Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RUNFLATS--need a sample wheel
03-07-2015, 00:35 (This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 03:46 by dentmac.)
RUNFLATS--need a sample wheel
Hi.
I have researched a runflat system that not only holds the tire on the rim like a Tyron system, but almost maintains the rolling diameter in the event of a blowout.
By preventing the drop to the rim, control should be significantly better especially for IFS. I can explain if requested.
The attachment has the information.
I will order the system but the company needs a Alcoa wheel to design the custom runflat. Then the system will be available for all 365’s
Obviously, I do not want a spare wheel.
Can anyone help find a wheel?? Short term loan or damaged?

Please let me know.
Thank you,
Ross MacKillop
2006 Bluebird Wanderlodge 450 LXi
rmackillop@gmail.com

http://www.rodgard.com/mobility.htm#

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dentmac's post
03-08-2015, 14:13 (This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 14:16 by travelite.)
RE: RUNFLATS--need a sample wheel
Interesting stuff Ross. Finding a solution for tire blow-out stability would be a great contribution. Thanks! Smile Any idea what these polyester elastomer rings would weigh. A quick back-of-the-envelop calculation shows that they could be as heavy as 75 to 100 pounds per wheel in our application. That's a lot to add to our rotating unsprung mass. Let us know what you find out.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-08-2015, 20:15
There are other solutions out there that already exist. Given the recent reported failures on Michelin 315s, and since these folks are right here in San Antonio, I have been meaning to get by to talk with them but have not gotten by there yet. They have a 22.5" insert already. Judging from their website, RVs don't seem to be a target market for them yet, but they have some impressive testimonials from Iraq on their smaller inserts on Suburbans on their armored vehicle site. They also have been on local news some as their armored vehicles have been popular south of the Rio Grande.

Run flat site is http://www.runflattiresystems.com

Their other site is http://www.texasarmoring.com/index.html

I will attempt to speed up checking them out and report back.

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
[+] 1 user Likes mikebulriss's post
03-08-2015, 21:11
Ross,

Do they need a physical wheel or just the measurements off of one? I have a cracked one that they could use.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-09-2015, 03:14
Hi,
Thanks for the interest and help. I was looking at the Otak (runflattiresystems.com) today and find it confusing as to who is the manufacturer. Both they and Rodgard are indicating manufacturing of roller and CRF inserts. Are they the same? I'll call OTAK tomorrow. Or if anyone has info, please post.

The cracked wheel may be sufficient. Is it 803601 ?

I'll ask about weight also.

Thanks,
Ross

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
03-09-2015, 21:38
No, it's a 28608, 22.5x9.00. Sorry.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-10-2015, 00:21
OK Thanks for trying---- Still need a wheel ..loan or damaged.

I called runflattiresystems. They manufacture/modify vehicles and supply the runflat inserts. They are not the runflat manufacturer. I believe that Rodgard in Buffalo is, but these companies like to be vague.

I will order a pair when wheels become available. Once the design is done, they will be available for everyone. Bluebird,Prevost and Newell.
Thanks

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
03-10-2015, 16:21 (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 16:30 by cmillsap.)
(03-10-2015 00:21)dentmac Wrote:  OK Thanks for trying---- Still need a wheel ..loan or damaged.

I called runflattiresystems. They manufacture/modify vehicles and supply the runflat inserts. They are not the runflat manufacturer. I believe that Rodgard in Buffalo is, but these companies like to be vague.

I will order a pair when wheels become available. Once the design is done, they will be available for everyone. Bluebird,Prevost and Newell.
Thanks

Ross,

If you are looking for a 9" rim, you evidentially intend to stay with the 315s on the steer. If I had a M450, I would upgrade to 365 tires (if they will fit) and have the run flat system built for that size rim which (I think) is 10.5"s. Many Prevosts and Newells are now equipped with 365s on steer and tag which would provide another decent market for the run flats.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
03-10-2015, 21:53
Hi,
CLARIFICATIOIN:

The Alcoa 803601 wheel is a 10.5 wide wheel that takes the 365/70 x 22.5.

I have those installed so in order to have the run flats designed and made, I need a wheel to send to Rodgard. I would rather buy a damaged wheel obviously
OR
If someone is upgrading a 450 to the 365's, I would be happy to pay for shipping to and from Rodgard. They need it for a few days.

I am trying to find out if Prevost uses the exact wheel -- It would be an option for those owners too.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
03-11-2015, 09:26
Ross,

My vintage of Prevost uses the 803601 Alcoa wheel. I'm not sure what the very latest (2015) Prevost conversion chassis are running.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)