Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TPMS
11-25-2014, 15:03
TPMS
Hi,
After having TPMS for the year, I suggest that everyone should have them.
I have a TST system with flow thru valves and a range extender. It is excellent but I have no comparative. I have replaced a couple of batteries but no big deal. I don't know how old the batteries were when I purchased the units.
Because the unit is outside the wheel, I don't think the temperature readings are much more then ambient temps-- still interesting , showing the sun differential and I hope with high tire temps, a warning would be given.
Most surprising is the pressure increase with driving and temps. A 25 psi increase is usual.
I have my front set at minimal 105 so on a cold morning the alarm warms you of 105 PSI. After a mile, it goes away. (I could set it lower but that is minimal pressure required for my weight)
I have let a LITTLE air out via the valve stem and the alarm goes off warning of rapid air loss. Happy with that.

If you are are changing drive tires, suggest reversing outside wheel tire stem. On the front , I think that they stick out too far so I used 90 degree extenders and stainless wire to keep them "In line" with the wheel circumference.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2014, 19:56
RE: TPMS
Ross, that is the next item on the endless list for my coach. Where did you purchase that?

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
11-26-2014, 13:41 (This post was last modified: 11-26-2014 13:43 by dentmac.)
Hi,
I purchased direct from http://tsttruck.com/ . I seem to remember a sale price somewhere else at the time. They couldn't play with pricing but I think I received free shipping. Camping world has them also.
Also need 4x 180 degree valve stem extensions for the outside drives and tags unless you have the stems reversed.

Just checked site -- There is a special in effect this month

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
11-26-2014, 20:19
Thank you, Ross

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
11-27-2014, 00:54
Ross I just dont know what to think on these devices. I do like a tire heat warning device. I need to start a table of heat readings so I know what they should be in relation to use and ambient temp.
I don't like to push-in the sharader valve while on the road to get a stick reading. for now, I check day prior and kick the tires day of a trip and at each stop.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-27-2014, 10:50
Greg, kicking a tire would not help if you have a blow out while traveling. Tire monitors do and have helped.
On my own experience, I got a warning before failure, was able to slow way down before the tire lost all pressure. Someone else got a warning from his toad, and was able to stop before that tire failed. This happened twice to that person. He picked up some nails.
Imagine the damage that would have happened if I didn't have a monitorAngry

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
11-27-2014, 13:14
Hi
To get reasonable true tire temps, I would think one would need internal sensors. Obviously the best but battery failure inside the tire would be PIA. I will still do it on a tire change and still have the externals to install if an internal battery failure. A few $ for safety.
Ross

(11-27-2014 10:50)patticake Wrote:  Greg, kicking a tire would not help if you have a blow out while traveling. Tire monitors do and have helped.
On my own experience, I got a warning before failure, was able to slow way down before the tire lost all pressure. Someone else got a warning from his toad, and was able to stop before that tire failed. This happened twice to that person. He picked up some nails.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
11-27-2014, 13:19 (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 13:36 by GregOConnor.)
(11-27-2014 10:50)patticake Wrote:  Greg, kicking a tire would not help if you have a blow out while traveling. Tire monitors do and have helped.

I see your point. I guess that is why they start to put these systems as standard equipment on new cars. It just seems that the accuracy and dependability of the non oem pressure monitoring sets have issues. When they first came out, people often removed them and went commando. Maybe it is time to revisit now that they have the test of time. I wonder if there is a way to hook up to the tow'd oem tire monitor system? I installed a device on my caregiver car so I could keep trac of where it was and operating details it is a 2011 Scion XB and has the oem tire monitor as standard equipment. I wonder if a hack of this would work in tow? This car isnt towable (automatic) or registered for that fact but I will turn the key to unlock and try and read the output with my app. and drop air to see if it shows up as low.
Here is the newer version of the plug and play device I installed. glad these weren't available when I was a teen
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/zubie-vehicl...Id=2047936

edit...... I checked my subscription to the server and it expired. Output does show the location of the car, todays date but its been parked for over a year. the unit is 60 bucks with one year free subscription and the renewal is 100 bucks a year . I would have gladly renewed but sadly lost the need to use the car. I will send them an email and inquire about the compatibility while in tow.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-27-2014, 13:56

I have long been intrigued by these systems and they are still on my to do list, but I do wonder if they woould have really helped on my two blow outs. But I can verify that checking the air pressure just before leaving is no guarantee either. I check the tire pressure before leaving on each trip. We got 28 miles out of LaJitas after the Terlingua rally when an outer tire on the drive axle decided it didn't like it here anymore. As far as "imagine the damage" - not really any to speak of. I was only going about 40 when it decided to blow. No real damage outside the tire and 5.5 hours wait for road service.

Similarly, I lost a tag tire at 75 on Stagecoach outside Lampasas one time. Outside of a low hanging wire, no damage other than that inflicted by the farm boy with the 1100 lb setting on his big air gun. Now the cowboy in the big Ford towing his horse trailer, and tailgating so close behind us that I could see his truck only on the rear view monitor. probably lost his shorts when the tag tire blew very spectacularly. I thought he was going to lose the whole rig the way he was swearving from lane to lane. Bet he reconsidered tailgating big rigs after that!

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
11-27-2014, 14:48 (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 22:11 by patticake.)
"probably a bean counter calculated decision"

Probably not a bean counter, but an attorney. Someone had a blowout, wrecked their wonderful whatever vehicle, and had to blame someone. Can't blame yourselfAngry for not checking air pressure after x months or years of ownership, or ever looking at your tires, even if they are only xx years old, they should last and be perfect for the life of the vehicleBig Grin

Am I wrong?

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)