Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gliders
10-20-2014, 17:45
Gliders
Long live the non-egr Detroit Diesel Series-60.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2014, 18:03
RE: Gliders
When did they start EGR David? 2004?

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
10-20-2014, 23:58 (This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 00:03 by davidbrady.)
Hey Gary,

Here's a page with all the official EPA publications. Detroit Diesel added EGR systems beginning in 2004 to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions. Here's a page showing the various NOX, NMHC, and Particulate emission standards they been trying to achieve since then. In 2004 the NOX emission restrictions were effectively cut in half, then in 2007 they were reduced by a factor of 10! Here's more on the 2010 standards.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
10-22-2014, 09:15
We had a couple of glider kit trucks back when I was in the business. Never had any more problems with them (including when trading) than with regular trucks.

If I had plenty of money and time, I would consider mating an older (80s) Wanderlodge to an old Autocar or Diamond Reo. I think the frame rails would match up. Remove the bus engine & make that the generator/tool storage area. Maybe raise the rear roof like a Senicrusier and have a workshop!

Alas! Too much to do to even consider that.

TOM
10-26-2014, 12:44
First time I found a glider was on an excel printout from my opacity computer, I thought it was a csv error. . I have a small business doing testing and record keeping for compliance with the California EPA "truck & bus regulation". Trucksmog.com . The powers to-be have mandated that every truck over 15k gvw be registered on their database with all the engine chassis, engine, aux equipment serial numbers and epa family numbers. Any fleet that has a glider throws that company into an audit. Audits with the Caifornia EPA CARB are easy but they always end up with fines for some violation or another. We inspect 1500 trucks of less than 30 customers and a total 8 gliders from two customers. Both customers with gliders are the self made types and truck grain. One of the gliders is a show truck with a 700 hp series 60. The other issue with marketing them here is 'it never rains in California'. and bodies stay perfect. In a conversation with one of the owners of the gliders he explained it was a fun project '95 and kept the shop talent around. Good mechanics got bored with oil change . (He should have bought them a Wanderlodge).

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-09-2014, 21:52
I have been out of circulation for some time because of travel limitations. Going back to David's thread on GLIDER KITS, I would like to comment on the following without exposing anything about age.

50 years ago, when I was in the trucking business, gliders were a means of getting a "new truck" for a used price. A glider kit consisted of a manufacturer's frame, cab, front axle without running gear. There were significant tax advantages as the "new truck" was titled from the old truck and you did not have to pay excise tax or whatever the local jurisdiction called their form of extortion.

I grew up in the logging industry and I knew one individual that had a nearly new Kenworth logging truck titled as a 1937 Dodge. This state had a severe excise tax based on vehicle year and value and 1937 Dodges did not have a lot of value.

Since then, many states have required glider kits to be retitled as new trucks removing this advantage. That is why glider kits have been become relatively unknown.

My sermon for the day.

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
[+] 1 user Likes DOSZORROS's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)