Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bus Log
08-30-2014, 10:59 (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 13:07 by davidbrady.)
The Bus Log
I wonder if you guys might like this. Check out "The Bus Log" toplink.

It'd be a place for you to chronicle your bus, maybe build an upgrade and maintenance history that you can use for yourself and to show to a buyer when it's time to sell - think of it as your personal blog. So it might be a blog for you, and a set of maintenance, repair and upgrade records for you and for prospective buyers???

It's in a very early stage of development and can be highly influenced; anything can be added or changed. All suggestions are welcome. Smile If you like it, I can bring it over.

EDIT: Changed the name from "The Bus Garage" to the "Bus Log".

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2014, 12:06
RE: The Bus Garage
Great tool. this keeps the forum threads to technical issues in a polite way. I have been to a active Landrover tech forum where there is so much chime in and attempt it is overwhelming read and more social than technical. at the end of the thread members start suggesting nearby Garages.

Can the app share the session with the same login credential and period? I dont like the name. When a bus is in a garage to some of us it is a mechanics garage and even if it is our garage it is sitting still. how about "Bus Log" or Blog for short, aah taken..

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
08-30-2014, 13:04 (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 14:49 by davidbrady.)
RE: The Bus Log
Thanks Greg, that's a take on it that I hadn't considered. Postings to the "Bus Log" can be separate so they don't comingle with the technical forums - that's pretty powerful and straight forward to set up. Yes, the "Bus Log" would be implemented within our WaGu bulletin board software, MyBB, so there's no need to create a new account. What do you think about logging maintenance schedule records? What would be a good format? Doing so would be a great way to build value in one's coach. I'm thinking google docs spreadsheets.

I like your name and I've already adopted it. Smile

david brady,

08-31-2014, 00:30 (This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 01:32 by GregOConnor.)
I tried something like that on a site I built for a rv dealership in Temecula Ca but the use was disappointing. what worked out good was a private database record for customers to keep tract of vin numbers, part numbers, appliance model numbers, and the like. I built a a predefined template fillable PDF where rv-owner-customers could add to the docs the mechanic started. it became a good on the road file place for customers to reference their rv's. Their profile get a bunch of hits while they updated and review the document. Not much of a google traffic driver but a added value customer loyalty thing that the dealership cared to help the owner while on the road. I think the problem with record keeping for maintenance is that it is only a rewarding or fun thing to visit if you are up on the tasks.
I record last oil changes with a Marks-A-Lot on the inside windshield of all my Vehicles. On tractors I write last oil on the filters since i pop the hood every time I start one. It is confusing when Tim drops by a jiffy lube and they display their opinion for the next oil change date and not what the odometer read when they did the last oil change. I prefix my odometer reading with LO for Last Oil Change.
WanderLog is another name but it would be good to include other brands without the given acronym.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
09-01-2014, 10:39 (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 11:33 by davidbrady.)
Thanks for your input Greg. These are all very good points. I like the idea of a form/template driven database repository of specific coach data, serial numbers, model numbers of components, etc, readable and writable by each owner within there Bus Log. I'm going to take some time to see how I might implement this. Thanks.

It occurred to me, this might morph into a sort of wanderlodge registry??? What do you think?

david brady,

09-01-2014, 20:07 (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 20:23 by Gregg.)
Hey David,
If you can add pictures and a project area, I think that would be real close to what we talked about last year. Plus if it is seachable by year, motor, model,etc. it could be a great short cut to researching problems and projects, without having to wade thru all the Hi,How are you, posts.

This could be a real value add for your coach!

Jane mentioned a section for trips. She puts lots of research and time into our longer trips which could help folks who don't have the time. Local knowledge is great, once you have it. Maybe the section could be searched by region or state.

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
09-02-2014, 20:08 (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 20:12 by davidbrady.)
Hi Gregg,

I'm still on it! LOL! Searching is no problem; MySQL is very good for that. It's sounding like a single place where each individual can dump there stuff in multiple threads and manage the threads themselves; basically a forum per individual. The trouble with that is MyBB, and all bulletin board software, is built around the model of multiple threads created by users, but forums administered by the Admin. This may be beyond the capabilities of the software unless I want to write code around it. The idea of Forums created by users is not a generic bulletin board feature. I'm not against a forum per user, it's just that I don't want to have to administer all of them! Smile I'm still working on ideas and welcome any and all suggestions. Say thanks to Jane for the "Travel Log" idea! I like it! Smile

david brady,

09-03-2014, 22:53
Always ahead of my time! Wink

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
[+] 1 user Likes Gregg's post
09-09-2014, 18:33
(09-03-2014 22:53)Gregg Wrote:  Always ahead of my time! Wink

What if under a user cp area, you could add the bus log area. Idea Would that solve the posting control?Huh

Word of caution, I'm still trying to figure out how to add my location, so let me know if I need to just forget this idea.Sad

As you can see, I have figured out the little faces!

Gregg & Jane Gesse
1994 WLWB 40 Mid-Door
09-10-2014, 11:38
That's a great idea Gregg, I never considered adding owner's bus specific data to their UserCP but that is a natural place for it! More food for thought. Thanks!

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)