Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adventure motorcycle travel
08-26-2014, 15:37
RE: Adventure motorcycle travel
Bob,

Why do you think there's so many (relatively) issues with the rear bearing on the GS? I understand one bearing is asked to not only support the weight, but also handle torsional loads as well, but is the design really that bad? None of my hogs have had those kind of issues and they've been to the circle and back. And they've had no maintenance on the bearings at all. It seems like there are quite a few folks having the same issues as you've had.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2014, 22:07
(08-26-2014 15:37)Arcticdude Wrote:  Bob,

Why do you think there's so many (relatively) issues with the rear bearing on the GS? I understand one bearing is asked to not only support the weight, but also handle torsional loads as well, but is the design really that bad? None of my hogs have had those kind of issues and they've been to the circle and back. And they've had no maintenance on the bearings at all. It seems like there are quite a few folks having the same issues as you've had.

I don't know for sure, but I have always carried tools and parts to equal about 100 lbs. But the FD should last even if you have a passenger that weighs more than that. After 7 bearing failures (I caught 4 before they destroyed anything) I changed the entire rear end to my spare and haven't had any problems - but I do open it every 10-14,000 miles and inspect the bearings.

BMW is mute on the issue, especially since the newer final drives are also failing. You can go to ADVRider.com and read the G-Spot threads about the final drives. I do inspect mine often and don't hesitate to take long trips, but I do anticipate the possibility.

My Harleys didn't have that problem, even though I rung out the interior splines in a drive belt pulley, in Richmond. I had an Andrews 34 tooth pulley that gave me about 84 MPH at 3600 RPM (the engine's sweet spot) when I was running alot of Iron Butt Rallies.
08-27-2014, 22:49
That's what's rather frustrating. You'd think Beemer would do better than a freakin' 1925 design harley. We've been rather fortunate in all our travels, having very few issues with our hogs. Damn tempting to put some aggressive tires on them and head out! If Dave Barr can circumnavigate the world on damn iron head Sportster, than we should be able to go on our Ultras! Lol!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
08-27-2014, 23:00
(08-27-2014 22:49)Arcticdude Wrote:  That's what's rather frustrating. You'd think Beemer would do better than a freakin' 1925 design harley. We've been rather fortunate in all our travels, having very few issues with our hogs. Damn tempting to put some aggressive tires on them and head out! If Dave Barr can circumnavigate the world on damn iron head Sportster, than we should be able to go on our Ultras! Lol!

Dave is a good friend of mine...we flew together in VietNam. Covered my posterior more than once!
08-28-2014, 17:56
I hadn't remembered he went to Nam. I knew about his South Africa days and those were interesting, to say the least! Chatted for a while with him at a rally many years ago. Colorful might be a good description!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
08-31-2014, 10:55 (This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 11:29 by davidbrady.)
John,

What's the verdict? What bikes are you now looking at? I may have to de-mothball my 1995 R1100GS and join you! I think there's still some miles left in the old girl.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
08-31-2014, 18:56
Still looking and thinking. Since we probably won't make either the NWT or the Labrador run for a year or so, I'm not in any immediate hurry. I would guess we're leaning towards the ktm. At ~500# and 150hp, it should be a real hoot to ride. But I haven't found the bad side of a ktm. Obviously, the final drive can be a real Achilles heel for the beemer. Don't know if ktm has the same type issue or not yet.

In any case, you're still welcome to ride; but you've got to keep up with her! Wink

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)