Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malware (Monkeytize)
05-30-2014, 13:36 (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 10:16 by travelite.)
Malware (Monkeytize)
It took two days, but I finally rid my computer of a rather tenacious piece of malware. I download lots of software, usually from trusted sites and haven't had an issue in years. A couple days ago I was researching technology in SpongeBob. SpongeBob uses remote controlled 120VAC circuit breakers by SquareD. It's a nifty feature to be able to directly manage loads at the 120VAC panel via upstairs low-voltage push-button switches without external relays. I wanted the software used to configure my system so I downloaded a piece of SquareD Powerlink windows configuration software from what looked like a trusted site, and I got zapped! My download was contaminated with a piece of malware called Monkeytize. Monkeytize takes over your web browser, inserts a proxy, and redirects your requests to sites of its choosing, many of which are chock full of viruses. It also insists that you download many new plugins, video drivers, etc, also presumably stuffed with malware and viruses. I tried to remove it myself but failed. I finally purchased a malware security suite from SpyHunter which was successful in restoring my system. SpyHunter had to clean my registry and then load an interim OS into my master boot record. It then rebooted into the SpyHunter OS so that it could scrub my Windows' boot record and files. Pretty nasty stuff! So, if you're ever infected with a particularly nasty piece of malware I'd recommend SpyHunter. (BTW, I often wonder what role these software protection suites play in the creation of viruses)!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2014, 18:12
RE: Malware (Monkeytize)
David- the last statement is what I have wondered for quite sometime. Job security?

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
06-02-2014, 22:23
David, what operating system are you running on the formally infected computer?

TOM
06-03-2014, 13:52
Hi Tom,

Windows 7 Professional.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)