Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ALERT: Check Those Blue Ox Towbars !
03-24-2014, 11:51
ALERT: Check Those Blue Ox Towbars !
All:

For everybody using the Blue Ox Tow Bar System, especially the aluminum ones, check them.

Coming into Waycross, Georgia last week, my 20 yo aluminum Blue Ox suffered a broken left arm. My toad, a 2001 Honda CRV "attempted" to pass me on the right. I was inside the city limits moving in traffic at about 30-35 MPH. The toad never separated but did cause minor damage to the right bottom rear of my rear coach bumper. I was able to pull over into a large parking lot. The broken arm was snapped half into with the stump dragging on the pavement.

I had to leave my Toad in Waycross and drove on to Perry, Georgia. So happened the FMCA Rally was going on there and Blue Ox had a team there. Called them and within two hours they brought me a brand new steel one.

The techs recommended replacement or rebuild on their products ever 8-10 years and periodic maintenance every 6 to 12 months.

As reliable as Blue Ox tow bars are, we become complacent and take them for granted. The techs did suggest that for big coaches and toads, don't use the aluminum product.

THEY WILL BREAK AND ON THE HIGHWAY AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, ONE'S TOAD MAY SEPARATE AND CAUSE DAMAGE, INJURIES AND FATALITIES.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RetDA's post
03-25-2014, 12:14
RE: ALERT: Check Those Blue Ox Towbars !
I had 2 blue ox tow bar break on us last year one just outside cody,wy and one in seattle,wa we switch to the roadmaster have about 15000 mile so far no problem they also sell the adapters so you dont have to change your base plate

Rick & Nikki Palmer
2000 43 LXI
2011 rubicon
03-25-2014, 13:21
RE: ALERT: Check Those Blue Ox Towbars !
(03-25-2014 12:14)Richard palmer Wrote:  I had 2 blue ox tow bar break on us last year one just outside cody,wy and one in seattle,wa we switch to the roadmaster have about 15000 mile so far no problem they also sell the adapters so you dont have to change your base plate

Can't really complain about my towbar. Sold originally with the coach when new and just over 103,000 miles before it broke.

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)