Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXTERIOR_PAINT_PROTECTION
02-03-2014, 17:32
EXTERIOR_PAINT_PROTECTION
Looking for Vendor dealing in Pre-Cut Vinyl (3M or such) 'Paint Protector' for the front of the Coach.
Also, 'how-to' suggestion removing Vinyl-Paint-Protector from the Coach.

Be Safe Out There!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 19:52
RE: EXTERIOR_PAINT_PROTECTION
Update from my post of 2009. I had the front repainted at CoachWorx in 2010. I took the 3M off by hand with solvent and scrapers before painting. It was a horrible job and I didn't really save any money on the repaint.

After I got my first stone chip, I decided to find a new film (didn't want to deal with a Bra) and discovered Diamondshield with it's lifetime warranty.

There was still some 3M below the bumper, so I asked if the installer could remove it. He got out his Wagner wallpaper Power Steamer #705 from the Depot. He used ScrapeRite plastic blades, hit the 3M with steamer, lifted the edge with a blade and pulled the 3M off slowly in one piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't hurt the paint one bit.

Morey Zuber
99LXi41
[+] 2 users Like timetravelers's post
02-04-2014, 21:50
(02-04-2014 19:52)timetravelers Wrote:  Update from my post of 2009. I had the front repainted at CoachWorx in 2010. I took the 3M off by hand with solvent and scrapers before painting. It was a horrible job and I didn't really save any money on the repaint.

After I got my first stone chip, I decided to find a new film (didn't want to deal with a Bra) and discovered Diamondshield with it's lifetime warranty.

There was still some 3M below the bumper, so I asked if the installer could remove it. He got out his Wagner wallpaper Power Steamer #705 from the Depot. He used ScrapeRite plastic blades, hit the 3M with steamer, lifted the edge with a blade and pulled the 3M off slowly in one piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't hurt the paint one bit.

There are also liquid protectorates that can be sprayed on instead of sticking the vinyl sections on. I found the vinyl deteriorates over time. Removing it is a major hassle and chore. I used Amor Coat sprayed on over the front bumper to top above the windshield to protect the entire leading surface from incoming. It looks great and holds up like a clear coat but repels objects from marring the paint.

Tommy "2 Shoes" McCarthy
2006 M450XLI "GoneAway" Big Grin
Former owner 1995 PT42 WB "Pretty Penny"
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe
02-04-2014, 23:36
The original protective film on the 450 was not 3M but a Llumar product that had a LIFETIME warranty to the original owner. (Which includes its removal -- but not paint damage in doing it ) Still has to be removed before painting and re- application.
These products are are not precut for the Wanderlodges.
The new Llumar product only has a 3 year warranty as does 3m.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
02-10-2014, 01:18
(02-04-2014 19:52)timetravelers Wrote:  ........After I got my first stone chip, I decided to find a new film (didn't want to deal with a Bra) and discovered Diamondshield with it's lifetime warranty.......

Where did you get it done and how expensive would you guess the front end only be? I just got mine repainted also.

Bob Johannesen
1991 WLWB "Seldom Blue"
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)