Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad leveler valve?
12-20-2013, 02:08
RE: Bad leveler valve?
(12-16-2013 11:34)patticake Wrote:  Can you find a mobile mechanic?

Fixed it! Accidentally. Thanks to a hint from Pete. While I was under the bus over the weekend, I hit the ball joint assembly with rust buster and then later with WD-40 and then I liberally spayed WD-40 in the exhaust port as I moved the lever manually (apparently the air leak I heard was from the exhaust valve as I was moving the lever). After sitting this week, the WD-40 freed up the innards and it works like it should again! The chassis came up like normal when I fired up today. The shop I took it to messed with it and two mechanics basically said, there is no problem here, why do you want to change it? They said they have also fixed many leveler valves with WD-40 in the exhaust port. So, after numerous suspension dumps and refills, I had them R&R the AD-4 air dryer and purge valve instead since they were already under there. I had been recently seeing some milky fluid when the purge valve spit. They actually questioned me 'why?' on the air dryer also, since there was no moisture in the tanks, but they realized it needed it once they tore it apart. Got to love a mechanic that tries NOT to take your money. After 70 miles today, it seems like good to go!

BTW, the two big rig brake parts houses I called this week looking for the AD-4 dryer R&R kit did not have it and they both warned me that their parts look up system referred them to the Bendix AD-9 on the cross reference. FWIW.

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi43 DS
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2013, 12:15
RE: Bad leveler valve?
Mike,
I'm glad it all worked out!Big Grin Many thanks for the update.....Also thanks for the air dryer lesson, I always thought 90-2003 were all AD9's with the Holset setup! Now we all know.......I'm grateful you posted the fix and update, Happy and a warm safe Holiday!Smile

FWIW-yep WD40, I never leave home without it!Tongue

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)