Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Shocks for a 2000 LXI
09-05-2016, 23:13
RE: Front Shocks for a 2000 LXI
Typically nothing Morey. I do check my pressures before every trip. Tire pressures will change 2% for every 10 deg F change in ambient temperature, and they change about 1/2 psi for every 1000 feet in elevation. The two do a decent job cancelling one another out, so while I do religiously check my pressures I rarely change them during a trip. For instance, this summer we were away for 4 weeks and we traveled from Huntersville NC (elevation 800 ft) to Leadville Colorado (elevation 10,000 ft). When I left Huntersville it was 90 deg F and I set my pressures appropriately. At Leadville it was 70 deg F so I lost 4 psi, but I gained 5 psi for the 9000 ft of altitude we climbed. Net effect was a 1 psi greater pressure in Leadville, Co over Huntersville NC. We travel mostly in the summer so the temperature swings we see are on the order of 20 to 30 deg F. I suppose during other seasons one may experience wider swings. In these cases I would adjust the air as needed; however, I'm not going to fret if my target psi is 95 but they're currently down to 92 psi. I think pressures and load charts with modern day tires are more art than science. Tires are simply too complex to wrap up into a closed form formula for all conditions. IOWs, as long as I'm within 10% of what the charts say I'm happy. Needless to say, I'm not a speed racer. With my familiy of six on board I typically don't exceed 63 mph.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Front Shocks for a 2000 LXI - davidbrady - 09-05-2016 23:13

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)