Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Augustine, Fl one of the oldest Fl settlements
03-05-2013, 15:25 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 15:40 by pgchin.)
Saint Augustine, Fl one of the oldest Fl settlements
OK,
So your "snowbirding" here on the east coast of Florida this winter or vacationing. Ya did the Disney deal, walked your dogs on the beach, toured the space coast and still have a few days to burn on your way out of Florida. The significant other wants to do the shopping therapy thing, and you've been a bad dog and need to provide a way to get out of the doghouse and off the salon couch without too much pain!!!!!!WinkBig GrinTongue
I may have a solution for you. Why not do the "tourist thing" in Saint Augustine, one of the oldest settlements here in FL?
Outstanding state part to stay at, did I mention beach again? Oops Wink
http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/

You can bike to town or drive if you so desire. The old fort and settlement town is very close. If you drive, you can plug a meter OR go to the visitors center and park in their multiteir parking garage. Shopping in quaint little shops in town by the fort or hop on over to I95 via 16 and all the discount outlet shopping you want including camping world, Gander Mountain, BOSE outlet, and if you are a Ford guy, a HUGE dealership right in line to "play" at for the fella's!Wink Harley dealership west side of I95 to get the "official t shirt" if that is your thing. Tour the old fort and town, take a guided trolley ride through town or a horse drawn carriage ride during the evening to watch the sunset and view the inter-coastal. Who knows, if you play your cards right, ya might get lucky! For the not no faint at heart, take the ghost walking tour at night to see what buildings in the old town are haunted and why Smile !!!!!! Plenty of eating establishments of all varieties and cuisines. Since we are on WAGU and spaghetti is my favorite, they used to have a small NY style pizza and Italian restaurant center of town east side. Deck on the back to eat out in good weather. My FAVORITE place to chow down when we go.Big Grin It's been about 3 years so I hope it is still there, if not, no worries, PLENTY of other choices!

Tip, some of the park circles may be tight for 40-43 footer so call the office and speak with a Knowledgeable work camper and they will tell you where you can fit. Some are HUGE, others not so much!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 23:15
RE: Saint Augustine, Fl one of the oldest Fl settlements
We just spent 4 days in St. Augustine at St. Johns RV Park at exit 311 off I-95. SR 207 takes you right into town...about 7 miles. We rode our bikes in one day when it was not too cold, but the other 3 days it was in 40's and 50's. We dry camped in their field area for $16.50 per day.....nice to have no neighbors, and plenty of room to stretch out. Just a few miles up I-95 is Gander Mountain and CampingWorld, both of which got some business from us.

There are a lot of great restaurants in town, as well as numerous historical sites. We ate and drank at A1A Ale Works, Monk's Vineyard, GAS Full Service Restaurant, JP Henley's....enormous draft beer selection, Rendezvous Beer Bar, etc.

On the weekends you can park for free (if a spot is open) behind the Lighter Museum.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell - 36' - 6V92 Detroit Diesel
26' American Trailer
2002 Ford Thunderbird
Many bicycles
We are full time since 2-1-2012!
03-06-2013, 11:43
RE: Saint Augustine, Fl one of the oldest Fl settlements
Thank you Clarke for posting your experiences!Big Grin I completely forgot about the winery!!!!!!Rolleyes I't so nice for members to see what others have done! Thanks again for sharing!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)