Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Max weight for a toad
08-30-2015, 20:59
Max weight for a toad
Hi guys -

Looking a buying an SP36 in the near future, and am hoping to get some input regarding our toad. I currently have a Lexus GX470 that weighs in a just over 5K pounds and would LOVE to use this as a toad. I know it's heavy, and I know a lighter rig would be better, but I love my Lexus (if you saw her you'd understand), and would love to tow her around without feeling like I was either abusing the 'Bird or dialing my MPG's down to near zero while towing. Any sage advice? Should I sell and get a lighter toad or can a SP handle this old girl?

Ken and Tammy Morgan
Fountain Hills, AZ
'91 SP36
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2015, 22:32 (This post was last modified: 08-30-2015 22:57 by travelite.)
RE: Max weight for a toad
You're fine. I'd definitely pull the Lexus. Attached is a motorhome fuel economy paper by Caterpillar. I'm assuming your new SP will weigh around 34000 lbs and will have a 300hp Cat 3208. Check out the charts in the paper that compare mileage at a fixed 300hp as GCW goes from 34000 lbs to 40000 lbs. Flat and level is a non-issue. Your 6% hill climb performance drops from 45 mph down to 40 mph. From this paper I'd expect about a 5% average fuel economy penalty by increasing your GCW by the amount of your Lexus. But, don't forget you'll be towing something regardless. So say it's a minicooper and it weighs only 3000lb. The relative fuel mileage loss by increasing your toad weight by a couple thousand pounds should be in the 1 to 2% range. I think you're okay.

BTW, welcome to the forum. We guarantee that you'll always get answers to all of your questions and on occasion they may even be correct! Smile

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Motor Home Fuel economy.pdf (Size: 175.91 KB / Downloads: 743)

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
[+] 1 user Likes davidbrady's post
08-31-2015, 00:42 (This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 00:47 by GregOConnor.)
not sure but is it a tow'ed or a towed. the Pinto I pull behind my GMC is a toad for sure İmage

but the H2 I pull behind my LXi I call a Tow'ed. İmage

I think you will be fine with the weight. that 3208 is built to pull 60,000 loads. I has several of them in dumptrucks in the past with more than 400,000 miles when I first converted them into dumptrucks. one thing I do is pump up the tires in the tow'ed to max on the sidewall label to reduce the friction.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
08-31-2015, 01:37
Thanks for the great info guys - extremely helpful! I'm happy to hear that I don't have to abandon the Lexus Smile

Ken and Tammy Morgan
Fountain Hills, AZ
'91 SP36
11-24-2015, 14:33
Welcome Ken! I just saw your post on towing. One thing to consider is the tow rating on an SP36. I believe it is rated at 5,000 lbs which is hard to believe for this model. Some owners have added some additional bracing for added strength. I tow a Jeep Wrangler and feel very confident with it.
11-28-2015, 23:36
Stopping may be the reason for a 5 grand lit... or the tong weight variable which would be 18% or 900 lbs. None of these apply with a tow'ed. Wouldn't hurt to mount frame to hitch safety cables. If you max the air pressure in the tow'ed they pull with less effort.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)