Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Smart Car" carrier
08-22-2014, 11:45 (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 11:45 by davidbrady.)
"Smart Car" carrier
Literally! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2014, 12:27
RE: "Smart Car" carrier
cool but I wonder if you could make a long car trailer with just a axle and a single tongue where the car frame is attached in three positions to make the box strength to the trailer. then hoist the trailer axle/toungue on back of the bus when you dismount the car and want to park. The smart car are just too small imo. I have an all electric fiat500 that I want to carry in some way

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
08-22-2014, 14:45
(08-22-2014 12:27)GregOConnor Wrote:  cool but I wonder if you could make a long car trailer with just a axle and a single tongue where the car frame is attached in three positions to make the box strength to the trailer. then hoist the trailer axle/toungue on back of the bus when you dismount the car and want to park. The smart car are just too small imo. I have an all electric fiat500 that I want to carry in some way

Might work... http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-...rs/c/2180/

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
08-22-2014, 14:58
You get one hanging that far off the back, you'd really have to worry about tail swing! Besides all the other stuff, too!

Since essentially every car (mainstream) is a unibody construction, using points on it to add structure to the trailer might be really tough. The structure is not too bad, but individual components are crap for strength. But building a small purpose built trailer for a specific car would probably offer enough weight savings to still papoose it on the back. Even a takedown trailer might be doable for a light enough car.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
08-23-2014, 01:43
I don't think you need to use the car structure to do much more than square up the axle. might even be a good idea to bolt the trailer axle to the tongue with a given play so there is little chance to bend the tongue or crack the connection. The tongue would only need to support 300 lbs or so. the tongue more or less just pulls the axle and holds the 'tongue weight'. a torflex axle may work to offset the ramp-over if you can figure a way to twist it up to lift the car once lined up.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
08-23-2014, 11:14 (This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 13:10 by travelite.)
It'd be neat if you could figure out a way to use the Fiat's wheels to connect the trailer axle. I'm thinking a lightweight tubular beam that runs down each side of the car with a hub/wheel quick connect (whatever that is, maybe just a strap around the tires) at each end fastening the beam to the front and rear tires on each side. The trailer wheel with its half axle would be mounted midway or so on the beam; nothing going across the bottom of the car. The beam's a tube so it functions as a torsion bar reducing stresses going into the wheel mounts. You'd still need to connect your tongue, and you need a way to deploy the trailer wheels and lock them in place, (lifting the car off the ground); maybe just a screw jack and an electric motor at each trailer wheel and a tongue fastened to the front suspension sub-frame. Voila, the car's the trailer, the tongue weight is of your choosing, and the full monocoque is supporting the load exactly the way it should, thru the suspension pickups. The trick is coming up with a simple, quick, and safe way to attach the beams to the wheels; crazy... I know, but because the car is light there may be a way. Hey, if you patent this idea, I want in! LOL! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-05-2014, 08:47
Don't forget to include some capacity or system for regenerative charging as well! Cool

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
09-05-2014, 09:32
Why a Fiat??? Go FIRST CLASS or stay home! YOU HAVE A PREVOST
SOLUTION is here. Just need to find a shop to do it.

http://cargallery2014.net/james-bond-aston-martin-2/

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
09-05-2014, 15:44
Electric Fiat weight is 600 lbs heavier than the gas. the body is bloated up and the batteries are in the floor pan. Unbelievable sporty drive. I guess like #Itchintogo suggests there may be a way to make it charge while tow'ed. Or better yet, why not build a drive-line retarder for the bus that acts as a regen. Reason I want a trailer is because I usually never keep a car long. The 500e has a 90 mile range and I am sure 150 200 mile will be affordable in 3 years or so.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
09-06-2014, 17:04 (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 17:07 by dentmac.)
(09-05-2014 15:44)GregOConnor Wrote:  Electric Fiat weight is 600 lbs heavier than the gas. the body is bloated up and the batteries are in the floor pan. Unbelievable sporty drive. I guess like #Itchintogo suggests there may be a way to make it charge while tow'ed. Or better yet, why not build a drive-line retarder for the bus that acts as a regen. Reason I want a trailer is because I usually never keep a car long. The 500e has a 90 mile range and I am sure 150 200 mile will be affordable in 3 years or so.

Hi,
Range is an issue. I like the Fiat but Tesla may come out with one affordable.
My post of Bond's car was just to show an axle support idea for Davids "Trailer" . I guess all of you are too young to remember that movie.

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)